Con Review and Storytime: Amazing AZ 2016

  • Insert obligatory note about being slow to update here! 
  • It's always so hard to think of full interesting things to write. What do you think- tutorials? Con stories? Gotta give me some idea of what you want to see! I just need to make sure that people are checking in here- god knows social media like Facebook and IG are hard enough to mess with.
  • Anyway, I'm currently sitting in the living room of Courtney Leigh and Alex Davis, an amazing cosplay/photo/video team that happens to be some of my best friends. I stay here while I'm in Phoenix quite a bit, they're the best. Go find their internets and love on them. Same with Anabel Martinez, Allen Amis Productions, and Firelight Cosplay/Amber Brite. Just look at deez faces.

  • Amazing AZ Comic Con was last weekend, and I visited my parents in between then and now. I love my AZ trips, but am I ready to be home to my Mallowmew and the beach! I'll post a massive photo dump soon, but for now, I reeeeally want to tell you guys about the con itself and the most... interesting... convention experience I think I've ever had.
  • Amazing cons (mostly AZ, but I've heard the same sort of feedback from a few of their other branches as well) are, in theory, creator based cons that are meant to return to the origins of cons- comic artists and writers and smaller publishers, less pop culture that you get with Wizard World and CCI. It's a great concept, but the marketing and planning for the con leave a lot to be desired and I've never heard of any vendor making good money at that show. As a fan, some of the programming is really worthwhile and the con does being out good guests (I got my original Rogue suit signed by Chris Claremont, which I am SO happy about!) the rest of the programming can be a little disorganized from a professional viewpoint. I do still love the con and visiting home, but it is never worth it for me to purchase a table of my own when I'm already spending hundreds on a flight. As a fan, especially with the Groupon deals, it's worth checking out at least once- and please spend money at vendors! It might be our only sale of the day!
  • All that aside, time for STORYTIME!!!!
  • I'm pasting in my part of the conversation I had with Juno Cosplay and Anjelo (you've seen them in my photos, they're family) with minimal editing, so bonus fun in my reactions or something. Warning for NSFW language and grammar from hell (I blame adrenaline and autocorrect).

  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • The guy next to us has one of those "only a quarter of his shit is legit" autograph booths
  • Day one he tries to snipe Anabel and Allen's booth across the aisle since they were late cause Allen hurt himself (which is totally understandable on day 2 when you're sure someone isn't showing up but that was a little forward?)
  • Guy seemed okay at first and was nice and helped me with my banner. Then he went 0-60 and got REALLY PISSED because people were in front of his ghetto end cap turn in... thing... that people do when they have framed things hanging. It's a common thing and is usually not a huge deal, but it does block off your neighbors (in this case, us). 
  • And he kept taking it out on me. Alex and Courtney and everyone were getting sassy ofc but I was trying to be chill and I really did my best and apologized a lot and all that to just try to get this guy off our nuts. Found out later he tried to "report us to the con" and "get us banned" like 3 times. 
  • It just escalated from there. I totally get the frustration of having your shit blocked but 1. They weren't 2. 90% were strangers 3. He was getting angry at anyone who even spoke to us first. My cousin stopped by and went into look at stuff and he got in is face saying MAKE ROOM FOR PAYING CUSTOMERS
  • SO THEN after sass at least 5x a day for that reason (coming over, raising his voice at me, being very territorial even when we were just in our own booth entrance). At breakdown, I'm by myself holding down the fort waiting on loves to come back from a car run.
  • So I look over and see him tediously grabbing all the alligator clips off his thing so I try to olive branch and ask if I can help him take them down. He snaps and tells I DIDN'T GET YOUR HELP WHEN I NEEDED IT then apologized to me and said I was being nice and he took it out on me and was sorry (okay progress) THEN HE SNAPPED AGAIN and I was like WHAT MORE DID YOU WANT FROM ME I TRIED SO HARD BIPOLAR DUDE 
  • and he just was cussing and so fucking rude and I start frustrated crying a little and he just keeps fucking going and then I turn away and cry a bit harder cause him just so done then out of my peripheral teary vision I see Allen and Anabel CHARGE OVER and Annabel grabs me and mama bear cuddles me and Allen RIPS THIS GUY A NEW ONE

  • So then the floor manager guy (who is lovely, I met him at Amazing HI, I call him Jersey in my head cause... well, duh) comes over after booth guy runs away to "get me banned" and helps me get my stuff to Cara's booth to get away from this guy and that was basically the end.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Seriously though, I heard the Rise of the Valkyries playing in my head when Anabel and Allen charged over. They're the sweetest, most good natured people, and I feel so loved since someone attacking me got that kind of a reaction from them. The fact that they had my back made such a huge difference to me, and I was so so touched even when I couldn't get through to this guy. I'm one of those people that really wants everyone to all get along, I'm a dirty hippie, but I've NEVER cried in frustration like that before. 
  • I'll have another post coming soon with more photos, the rest of the weekend, etc. I have to work harder on making my site a real thing... but you know, baby steps and in between more responsibilities <3
  • PHOTO BREAK!






  • Bonus lolz:
  • Removing last names and links, but see below for more information, real reactions from industry professionals, and the name of the company. A HUGE HUGE thank you to Jimmy and the team for reacting so well and taking care of me when I really needed you. This is why you gotta be nice- if not for the Golden Rule, cause then people talk like THIS.
Sorry for any odd formatting!


Anabel Martinez
February 14 at 6:16pm
A vendor waited until someone's friends had left to hassle her about her booth being popular all weekend. Piece of trash. I can't stand con bullies. If your sales suck at con, up your game and don't throw shade at other vendors who are working their asses off.
LikeCommentShare
Matthew, Eric Ogre,Amber  and 69 others like this.
Comments
Jena Sisarts
Jena 
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 3:19pm
Tony Parker
Tony  Shame.
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 3:22pm
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez I can understand frustrations coming up during con, but the floor manager and security should be on hand to handle it, not yell at her and make her cry after the show. Coward unsure emoticon
UnlikeReply3February 14 at 3:25pmEdited
Tony Parker
Tony  Seen weak bullies like that before, only picking on the weak.
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 4:53pm
Jimmy Jay
Jimmy Jay Annabel much of the tensions were noted late on Sunday. I spoke to Matt, and our floor manager spoke to the other party. Staff walked the area several times after. Unfortunately this posting and a fb message from same time frame is how I became aware ...See More
LikeReply2February 15 at 5:11am
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez Jimmy Jay It completely caught us off guard at well. I'm just happy a staff responded so quick after we had to tell him to back off, and I'm really happy you came in to let us know that it's being addressed. I know there are both sides to it. When I sa...See More
LikeReply1February 15 at 5:15am
Jimmy Jay
Jimmy Jay With our approach, we try to be fair and ease tensions on all sides rather than contributing. That is the reason I spoke to Matt away from the booth area, and our floor manager spoke to the other party. Emotionally I feel bad that people were
LikeReply3February 15 at 5:29am
Jimmy Jay
Jimmy Jay Put in these situations. We admire the costume community, and specifically Matt and Amber's contributions, and Leah making the trip from Hawaii. The actions of this party will not be permitted moving forward.
LikeReply2February 15 at 5:32am
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez The best part was that he then started dumping his stuff into our area as we were breaking down, since we stood up for her.
LikeReply2February 14 at 3:28pm
Michael Sorensen
Michael  her booth was popular and the other vendor was mad because she had good stuff and his was shite, I'm guessing?
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 3:28pm
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez "People at her booth blocked my stuff all weekend." The dude has like no legit autographs and was a grumpy ass and wasn't near his booth half the time. O. M. G. I was across from him, his stuff was just not for their market
LikeReply2February 14 at 3:38pm
Rasheda Smith
Rasheda  Yeah that guy was at the wrong convention. Probably selling real high and no proof of legitimate signatures.
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 4:15pm
Victoria Frias
Victoria  What's funny is I saw a Michael Jackson "signed" album when I first passed his booth. Being a giant MJ fan, I stopped to check it out. I looked at the signature and my first thought was it was a fake. It sounds crazy, but I know his signature because I...See More
LikeReply2February 14 at 5:28pmEdited
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez A lot of people said a ton of his stuff is fake!
LikeReply1February 14 at 5:25pmEdited
Victoria Frias
Victoria Autographed stuff always seems questionable to me, even with a certificate of authenticity. Unless I saw the celeb sign it in person, I won't buy anything signed.
LikeReply2February 14 at 5:33pmEdited
Americo Luke
Americo I love when adults act like children
LikeReply1February 14 at 3:35pm
Michael Sepulveda
Michael  All those flavors ... and they chose to be salty.
UnlikeReply6February 14 at 3:38pm
Crystal McHale
Crystal Classy...unsure emoticon
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 3:42pm
Amber Hunt
Amber I'm so furious! He was SO rude not only to us but to people at our booth who were customers! No wonder his sales sucked, he was a giant dick!!!
LikeReply9February 14 at 3:45pm
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez He wasn't even at his booth half the time! He kept wandering away!
LikeReply1February 14 at 3:46pm
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez Grumpy asshole. You all were very decent
LikeReply3February 14 at 3:46pmEdited
Eric Flynt
Eric  This was YOU he did that to, Amber? I officially rebuke him!
LikeReply1February 14 at 6:26pm
Leah Colburn Hamilton
Leah  No it was me
LikeReply1February 14 at 6:33pm
Eric Flynt
Eric ALL THE REBUKING!
LikeReply1February 14 at 6:35pm
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez And then Allen cut him down with a flaming sword tongue emoticon
UnlikeReply2February 14 at 6:40pm
Leah Colburn Hamilton
Leah  It was beautiful
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 6:52pm
Margaret Mater
Margaret That's sad. Maybe if he took the opportunity to engage people he wouldn't have had such a bad time. But now he will lose business because word of mouth spreads big time.
LikeReply2February 14 at 3:56pmEdited
Niki Birkedahl
Niki what booth was this?? O_O i'm writing a review of the con for GNN, might be good info to put in so they don't have him again
UnlikeReply2February 14 at 4:21pmEdited
Matthew Hunt
Matthew RocknPopLegends
LikeReply1February 14 at 4:34pm
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez ^ The older guy, I think the company is a few guys
LikeReply1February 14 at 4:45pm
Niki Birkedahl
Niki  That's the booth with all the signed memorabilia correct?
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 4:46pm
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez Yep!
LikeReply1February 14 at 4:46pm
Niki Birkedahl
Niki okay! i know what you are talking about, we didn't go in there because i have no need for stuff like that but, super rude! that's not how you get customers
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 4:47pm
Jonathan Andrew Cambron
Jonathan  I will have to contact them and see if they would like me to improve their customer experience at cons. Perhaps then they wouldn't have to be cocks to fellow exhibitors
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 5:57pm
Leah Colburn Hamilton
Leah  THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YELLING AT HIM THAT MADE IT WORTH IT
I LOVE YOU GUYS

LikeReply14February 14 at 4:20pm
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez
LikeReply4February 14 at 4:45pm
Tiffany Mieth
Tiffany Can you report his ass to the convention staff so they know not to allow him to vend again?
LikeReply4February 14 at 4:20pm
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez Lol, he threatened to report them, and Allen for defending her
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 4:22pm
Tiffany Mieth
Tiffany What a big baby
LikeReply2February 14 at 4:23pm
Matthew Hunt
Matthew  Oh already talking to them about it. They are well aware. smile emoticon
LikeReply10February 14 at 4:35pm
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez Thank you Matt ♡
LikeReply2February 14 at 4:36pm
Leah Colburn Hamilton

Write a reply...
Courtney Fishell
Courtney  He probably would have sold something if he wasn't focusing so hard on chasing people away from his booth. Caught him chasing people away a couple times that were actually looking at his stuff. He was not a happy human and waited for all the people to leave so he could zero in on the one he didn't think would speak up against him. Bully is the perfect word for him.
UnlikeReply5February 14 at 4:21pm
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez Yeah, he was noooot a people person *_* I tried to be friendly and say hi and he constantly blew me off.
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 4:54pm
Leah Colburn Hamilton

Write a reply...
Leah Colburn Hamilton
Leah I still feel ridiculous for crying but you know how it is when you're just SO frustrated you can't help it.
LikeReply1February 14 at 4:37pm
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez Oh man I have totally had a stress cry at con before. Don't even worry. Especially with how he was hassling you all the entire weekend.
UnlikeReply2February 14 at 4:43pm
Brenda Gibbner
Brenda i understand that
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 4:44pm
Leah Colburn Hamilton
Write a reply...
Chris Ren
Chris That dude came up to me while i was watching your booth and said the same thing. I gave him the best stink eye i could (considering my costume). He then said he was just joking and walked off.
LikeReply1February 14 at 4:43pm
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez Omfg, are you kidding? Jesus. squint emoticon
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 4:44pm
Jovan Gauthier
Jovan Ex military guy like you? He'd better be scared.
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 7:03pm
Leah Colburn Hamilton
Write a reply...
Katelyn Blodgett
Katelyn I seriously no joke have heard the same thing from there of my other friends. I wonder if there is just a bully walking around giving shit
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 4:58pm
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez Damn, some vendors have no chill frown emoticon
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 5:27pm
Leah Colburn Hamilton
Write a reply...
Whitney Perkins
Whitney He was an ASS. All he had to do was go over and ask the girls respectfully to mind their guests. But no he had to be a grumpy and rude and horrible. I left to go help load and I feel soooo bad.
LikeReply1February 14 at 5:00pm
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez Not your fault, who would have thought he still had so much venom left???
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 7:36pm
Leah Colburn Hamilton

Write a reply...
C'loni Bailey
C'loni Gee, all these people are gathered in front of my booth. Should I engage them and entice them to check out my wares while they wait in line? Nope, I'll just be a dick about it later. Seriously, learn some salesmanship. He totally could have used this to his advantage.
LikeReply7February 14 at 5:29pm
Sandra Hill Coffey
Sandra That's horrible. So sorry he really upset that vendor. Why even be there if you are not going to take care of your customers & be a jerk to everyone else?!  He should've stayed home. 
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 5:32pm
Emma Lysyk
Emma Wow. WTF.
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 6:05pm
Matthew Hunt
Matthew Here's his profile. He just posted a scathing message on Firelight Cosplay's page. I've already deleted it, and I'm considering my retribution. https://www.facebook.com/vic.till
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez "Owner at Authentic Collectibles"
LOLOL

LikeReply1February 14 at 6:41pm
Leah Colburn Hamilton
Leah  SHOW ME THE SCREENSHOT
LikeReply1February 14 at 7:02pm
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez Leah He didn't save one ;_;
UnlikeReply1February 14 at 7:02pm
Leah Colburn Hamilton
Leah WHAT WHY
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 7:03pm
Matthew Hunt
Matthew BECAUSE I FORGOT
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 7:03pm
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez THAT WAS ME WHEN I ASKED HIM
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 7:03pm
Leah Colburn Hamilton
Leah Can you find a cached version of the page?
LikeReplyFebruary 14 at 7:04pm
Chris Ren
Chris MATT HATES SCREENSHOTS. AGAIN. ; )
UnlikeReply2February 14 at 7:04pm
Leah Colburn Hamilton
Leah  Courtney he needs a snickers
LikeReplyFebruary 15 at 11:29am
Courtney Fishell
Courtney Here,sir. You're a flaming ass fuck when you're hungry *hands him a snickers*
LikeReply1February 15 at 11:32
Ravyn Crescent
Ravyn Good for you, Allen, for standing up for the victims! The guilty party looks like an ass! If you get a ton of people near your table, you talk to them and be friendly! Get to know the other tables so you all can help each other out, don't go and scream at them.
LikeReply2February 14 at 7:28pm
Nichole Nance
Nichole  Ew what a sack of dick tips (thank you Deadpool for giving me a plethora of new insults). I hope this gets back to Jimmy and his team so they can remove that vendor from their list for next year.
LikeReply4February 14 at 8:19pm
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez Jimmy's team was on it we learned. smile emoticon Not his fault the vendor tried to corner Leah when she had no backup to "have a final word" like a coward. I'm thinking he knew Matt and Amber would have yelled back at him. He targeted her.
LikeReply1February 15 at 5:51am
Nichole Nance
Nichole Yeah that's fucking rude. Poor Leah. Hope the guy won't be seen at any other Amazing cons from here on out
LikeReply1February 15 at 9:46am
Matthew Hunt
Matthew I saw on his website that he frequents Wizard Worlds, too. Just so happen to have some contacts there as well. I'm not finished yet. smile emoticon
LikeReply2February 15 at 11:31am

Jimmy Jay
Jimmy Jay Incidents have been noted. Changes will be made. I'm truly sorry for the behavior of this person.
LikeReply4February 15 at 5:02am
Anabel Martinez
Anabel Martinez Your floor manager, I wish I got his name because he was completely awesome and came over to help her get out of that situation. Thank you!
LikeReply3February 15 at 5:04am
Matthew Hunt
Matthew Thanks again Jimmy. As always, you and your team have been fantastic in helping us deal with this guy. I want to make sure your floor manager knows just how much it means to all of us that he came to help Leah. That was really awesome.
LikeReplyFebruary 15 at 11:32am
Amber Hunt
Amber  Jimmy Jay props to your team for handling the situation so well! I wasn't there but everyone involved said your team was super awesome. smile emoticon
LikeReplyFebruary 15 at 11:37am
Leah Colburn Hamilton
Leah Like I was saying this whole time, I do understand his frustration but
1. It wasn't our fault. We didn't block his area, it was actual attendees 80% of the time
2. I did my best to help him and be considerate to his space (even though he stuck out awkwardly in front of us)
3. When someone genuinely apologises, continuing to berate them does no good and really just makes people less likely to want to help you out.
4. You can't blame slow sales on one person's actions. Check your own actions and clientele/product. (and certificates of authenticity but that's neither here nor there)

I'm sorry to everyone that worried on account of me, I'm so lucky to have you all heart emoticon thank you for supporting me and dealing with my sniffly face.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I are Leah! Hear me roar!

What I wish I could say at work

Update, Patreon, and Getting it Together