20 Years of Pokemon!

Obligatory sorry for the delay in posting, lots of things have been happening! Daria is moving to California which is AWFUL but fabulous at the same time, it's my birthday, mermaid life, getting ready for con and an AZ trip... I know you understand and I love you for it <3

Today I wanted to just have a fun little talk about Pokemon! Cause I'm the master, sorrynotsorry. It's so crazy to think that Pokemon launched in Japan in February of 1996! Obligatory complaining about getting older here...

Anyway, I remember when I was about 8 years old, my mom and I were in the shop getting the car worked on and I found an abandoned copy of Pokemon Blue. I didn't even have a Gameboy at the time, but the worker said it had been there for a few days (so sad since it was like, brand new at the time) so I could feel free to take it. I did, and did SO many chores for like a month while I saved up for a Gameboy. I even remember when I finally started my game, I didn't quite figure out the typing system and accidentally named myself "Casew-" instead of Casey. I still don't know why I loved that name so much as a kid, but I digress. Even my first "real cosplay" was Marill before the game was translated.

Like with Sailor Moon, Harry Potter, and other long-lasting series of media, it's always so interesting to look back and think how none of us really knew what we were getting ourselves into. Now here I am, 20 years later with an unhealthy obsession with Mew, stacks of Pokemon shirts and my binders still full of cards, encyclopedic knowledge of all of the games and lore, Pokemon cosplays and memorabilia everywhere, a horse nicknamed Ponyta...

I would call it an addiction but that has a negative connotation, and I'm not about to insinuate anything about this is bad.

I'm really excited to debut a new cute gajinka costume this year, maybe two, in honor of one of the most influential series in my entire life! So happy <3
Below is one of the first photos I could dig up on my sassy little hard drive of me and my friend Alexis at PCC 2011 in super quick trainer costumes!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I are Leah! Hear me roar!

What I wish I could say at work

Update, Patreon, and Getting it Together