Con Review (first of its kind!): Albuquerque Comic Con!

So I've decided that a new thing I'd love to do with my site is tell you about the different events I do, at least the larger ones, from the viewpoint of both an attendee and as a sanctioned guest or employee. I mean, I do still LOVE going to these conventions and activities just as a normal con-goer, but I think it might be interesting to see the behind-the-scenes that sometimes I'm privy to. <3

Oh privy, you're such a great word...

So, the first one of its kind and backlogged to hell, let's talk about Albuquerque Comic Con, January 2013!

First, I wasn't actually asked about being a guest how it normally happens- I got a paid job contingent on me making it there, Cara Nicole (AZ Powergirl) said she had room in her car, I contacted the con and let them know what was up, and they added me as a guest. TAH DAH! My badge was comped, but nothing else, so definitely not the best guest package...but meh. I'm sure they did better for actual celebrities.

I was super happy to meet two AMAZING girls while I was there, Jennifer Van Damsel and Nadyasonika, who are fabulous cosplayers in their own right, and their friend (who they were helping at the con) an AWESOME artist names John Hughes. Hnnng. Bought like three of his prints. I also spent some time with fellow AZfaces and good friends Rosanna Rocha and Katybear. Oh, and Billy was there!!!! It's always so good to see him!!!!!! I also had the chance to hang out with Brian Pullido, and he dared me to cosplay Lady Death. Oh boy.... My industry highlight was DEFINITELY talking with Amanda Connor for a while about her Rogue costume back in her 20s, a bit about art and artist recognition, and she ended up giving me a beautiful print of her Wonder Woman art. I DIED.

Outside of the industry peeps, I was super lucky to meet and become friends with Verne Troyer and his agent, Jack (WHAT A DOLL LET ME TELL YOU) and spent quite a bit of time with G Tom Mac, a brilliant musician and fantastic person. I was trying to walk past his booth but it was too crowded in the hall- so I introduced myself and sat with him till it cleared out. Ended up hanging out a good chunk of the weekend, he's such a sweetheart and we still text back and forth.
He also played an impromptu acoustic show while we were there, which he NEVER does. Double hnnnnng.

Unfortunately, the only panels I made this time around was my own with the other cosplay girl guests- I'll attach a photo below. <3 I liked how we were all set up- one corner and part of a row by the wall was all us girls. Because of the job I had with Cardhaus Games, I was SUPPOSED to have had a table on the gaming floor, but it was actually totally canceled! But the con, bless them, gave me an empty table in an even better location than I could have imagined. <3 So many props.

Only complaint I had, and this is so small, was that the VIP room for guests and special badge holders was supposed to have a lunch set up for us to get to over like a three hour period. People kept sneaking in, which is annoying but hardly the end of the world, and ate some of our food so the staff simply decided to take it all away and not bring anything out as guests came in. They threw it away or something. And Nadya and Jen and I were so hungry :c
Oh, and the weather outside was MISERABLE.

OH MY GOD BIGGEST FANGIRL MOMENT I MET TASHA YAR AND SHE TOLD ME I SHOULD COSPLAY HER EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE she was my hero as a kid!!!!!!

That's about it!! Photos of some highlights down nyah!











All rights reserved!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I are Leah! Hear me roar!

What I wish I could say at work

Update, Patreon, and Getting it Together