Pop culture: doing it right

Okay, normally I'm REALLY not one to jump on bandwagons with... well, much of anything. But I did for once, and for the love of God I hope you do too.

I read the entire Hunger Games series in a few hours over the past few days, only stopping while driving, in class, or waiting in line at Walmart to buy the last book.

TLDNR about the series: very much a more approachable (but emotionally harder to handle) Battle Royale. Post apocalyptic, dystopian America. broken into 12 disrticts. Some sort of war in the past, now as a reminder a boy and girl are picked to fight to the last man standing. 

I refuse to put any spoilers, because I HATE that crap and it was ruined for me before I read the last book, but let me just say that this series in absolutely incredible. Even though the basic premise was very similar to Battle Royale, I had much more of a connection to every last character in the Hunger Games. The writing was more approachable, if that makes sense- but while a middle schooler might be able to read it, they wouldn't fully understand the nuances and details until they were older. That emotional punch (that made me cry like 3 times in public, mind you) wouldn't be there or as strong.

I really don't know what to say about this series, other than please PLEASE read them. It's not just gore and insanity, it's about the social, psychological, and moral implications of this dystopian America's problems.

Even if you don't want to read them, I'm sure the movie will be okay. I mean, movies based off books are never the best, but just get into the world of Panem however you can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I are Leah! Hear me roar!

What I wish I could say at work

Update, Patreon, and Getting it Together